[Dovecot] virtual hosting

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Sun Jan 2 16:06:28 EET 2005

Tom Allison wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how I might set up some virtual hosting
> accounts for my server.
>
> domain1 would be delivered via procmail to ~/Maildir mail directories
>
> domain2 would be delivered via postfix to
> /var/mail/vhosts/domain2/username and similarly for additional domains.
>
> There's also one domain that's delivered to another machine, but that's
> not a dovecot issue.  I just mention it for completeness.
>
> currently I have only domain1 and only:
> default_mail_env = maildir:~/Maildir
>
> I'm not really sure how to set this up for additional locations of
> maildir:/var/mail/vhosts/%d/%n/Maildir (This seems right?)

OK, I think I figured out how to do this, if I really need to do it this
way at all.

Keep default_mail_env as it is for my local mail.
Add a home field into the postgres database for authentication and use
that to specify alternative directories: /var/mail/vhost/domain2/username/

But I won't have anything in the home field for local users.  How does
that affect my queries?  I assume empty-strings will be 'ok'?