[Dovecot] Another "Too many files open" post

Andy Cravens acravens at uen.org
Wed Dec 21 01:59:08 EET 2005

I'm running Solaris 9 Sparc with Dovecot alpha 5 and using maildir
format..  I noticed in the log file the following error:

dovecot: Dec 20 15:54:18 Error: imap(xxxxxxxx):
open(/export/home/xxxxxxxx/mail/.Sent
Messages/cur/1135013649.002916.mbox:2,Sab) failed: Too many open files

I called the guy and asked him what he was doing... synching his
folders.  It hung for a while but finally finished.

I searched the archives and found some related info from Jeff Ballard:

 >Actually on Solaris 9 you want to put something like this in >/etc/system:
 >
 >set rlim_fd_cur = 32768
 >set rlim_fd_max = 65536
 >
 >That sets the current fd's to 32k and max to 64k.  Unfortunately, to
 >take effect you'll need to reboot.  After the reboot, ulimit -a should
 >show that nofiles(descriptors) is 32768.
 >
 >-Jeff

And I found this from Jeff Earickson:

 >I ran into this problem with alpha4 on Solaris 9.  I doubled the
 >following dovecot settings:
 >
 >login_max_processes_count = 256 (was 128)
 >login_max_logging_users = 512 (was 256)
 >
 >and the problem went away.  I carried these numbers forward intoalpha5,
 >and it has been working fine.

I changed my /etc/system file but have not rebooted yet.  Also, on Jeff
Earickson's post, I looked at my dovecot.conf settings and they're
basically default which means everything in the "Login processes"
section is commented out.

I have 10 users on this system and will hold off migrating any more
until I can resolve this problem.  By the way, my "ulimit -a" shows
"open files" at 256 which seems low.

# ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)     0
data seg size (kbytes)      unlimited
file size (blocks)          unlimited
open files                  256
pipe size (512 bytes)       10
stack size (kbytes)         8192
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          29995
virtual memory (kbytes)     unlimited

Any advice would be appreciated.  I can't reboot for a few more days.