[Dovecot] Dovecot Version Numbers - Let's drop the Alpha?

Michael Paesold mpaesold at gmx.at
Fri Dec 16 17:05:35 EET 2005

Marc Perkel wrote:

> I'd like to make a suggestion. Let's drop the Alpha and come out with an
> official version 1.0.

Actually, what I would like to see is to start a beta phase for dovecot 1.0,
declare 1.0 feature freeze and only commit bug fixes to this branch from now
on.

Timo's work can continue with a 1.1alpha version, in CVS tip.

After some time of beta status (which may encourage more people to upgrade
from 0.99 to 1.0) Timo could make an offical 1.0 release and distributions
would be very likely to catch up.

Early adopters and those who want new features immediately (like dbox)
should continue to follow the 1.1 version as they see fit.

Things that should be fixed before making a 1.0 beta, IMHO:
- included plugins should actually work

Of course this is all up to Timo, so, I am very interested in his point of
view. Timo?

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold