[Dovecot] inotify.h not found

Mark Rosenstand mark at borkware.net
Sun Dec 11 02:32:52 EET 2005

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 11.12.2005, at 02:03, Mark Rosenstand wrote:
>
> > dovecot (1.0.alpha5) won't compile with inotify support because
> > inotify.h can't be found. I'm running Linux 2.6.15-rc5 with headers
> > from 2.6.12 (like most vendors). I've noticed that beagle and other
> > inotify-enabled applications ships with an inotify.h. Could this be
> > scheduled for alpha6? :-)
>
> I don't think it's Dovecot's job to include Linux-specific header
> files that it doesn't really even require.

Neither did I, until somebody told me that it would be insane not to:
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2005-December/054536.html

> Looks like Debian at least has inotify.h already:
>
> % dpkg -S /usr/include/linux/inotify.h
> linux-kernel-headers: /usr/include/linux/inotify.h

Nice that at least one distribution provides up-to-date kernel headers,
but beware that almost every other distribution out there uses the
2.6.12 headers at this time. Yes, it's "their fault" in my opinion too,
but those additional 3.5KB would benefit a lot of dovecot users until
>=2.6.13 headers are more common.

Anyway, I understand if you don't want to include it, because it isn't
really dovecot's problem.