[Dovecot] Is Dovecot able to use PostgreSQL to store mailboxes?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 28 22:29:26 EEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 22:04, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> > It could be fast, but it couldn't be faster than doing "cat mailfile",
> > which is basically what maildir clients do.
>
> Actually, in a really large folder, a database (with a decent
> organization) could be significantly faster than "cat mailfile" on more
> traditional filesystems.
>
> However, as filesystems take on more database-like features, this
> distinction will likely become less important.  (EG: dir_index on ext3).

Right. Directory indexes are really important with maildirs, especially
large ones. I guess a database can be slightly faster even with those,
depending on how much better it stores the data internally than
filesystems. But SQL databases still have the overhead of parsing SQL
commands, IPC and what else..

ReiserFS 4 promises very good performance with small files as well as
other great things. I've been thinking about adding native support for
it once it's more widely used. It should be able to at least partially
replace Dovecot's indexes.