[Dovecot] Is Dovecot able to use PostgreSQL to store mailboxes?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Mon Jun 28 22:04:34 EEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 20:14, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 22.6.2004, at 04:49, Tom Allison wrote:
>
> > I had a conversation with the same fellow a while back.
> >
> > I'm told that dbmail is actually very fast in mail retrieval.  But I
> > was unable to confirm it myself.
>
> It could be fast, but it couldn't be faster than doing "cat mailfile",
> which is basically what maildir clients do.

Actually, in a really large folder, a database (with a decent
organization) could be significantly faster than "cat mailfile" on more
traditional filesystems.

However, as filesystems take on more database-like features, this
distinction will likely become less important.  (EG: dir_index on ext3).

Thanks for dovecot.  It's really great.

--
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu>