[Dovecot] Maildir owner importance

Peter Clark peter-clark at bethel.edu
Wed Dec 29 20:53:41 EET 2004

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 14:06, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> If you want to use 5000 UID, just make sure the userdb returns 5000 as
> UID.
    I'm using LDAP for authentification, so /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf has this:
user_global_uid = 5000
user_global_gid = 5000
    This is what you're referring to, right?

> And there was talk about auth_user in this thread too. The most
> important thing with it is that it must not be the same as login_user
> (1.0-tests enforce this check). Other than that, it's better to be the
> least privileged user that has access to passdb and userdb, but just
> using root isn't that bad either.
    I didn't know that login_user and auth_user needed to be separate. I've
been using dovecot for both. But does this matter, since I'm using LDAP, and
the "dovecot" user for LDAP technically exists only in the LDAP database, and
is separate from the "dovecot" system user. So if I understand things
correctly, they are technically two separate entities, just with the same
name. Right?
    :Peter