[Dovecot] Mixing mbox and maildir

Rory Campbell-Lange rory at campbell-lange.net
Wed Dec 22 01:27:48 EET 2004

On 21/12/04, Kenneth Porter (shiva at sewingwitch.com) wrote:
> Is there some way to add a maildir folder to a mbox hierarchy? My folders
> are all mbox, but I want to migrate some client-side mail from a client
> (PMMail2000) that stores messages as individual files, and it might be
> easiest just to dump all the files into a maildir directory with suitable
> naming.

You probably want to make everything the same format, using mb2md.

I'm not clear how to do this myself. One way is to resubmit them to your
mail program and get it to rewrite new spools, eg do a fetchmail to
download POP3-hosted mboxes and these will be rewritten to your new
format. Unfortunately this runs under the user who invokes fetchmail, so
domain-wide email can't be processed usefully in this way for several
users, as far as I know.

Another way might be to use batched smtp format (bsmtp), and inject them
into your mailer as a trusted user (eg using exim's -bS option). I don't
know how to convert mboxes, etc into bsmtp formatted files though.

Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange
<rory at campbell-lange.net>