[Dovecot] Problem with dovecot on home LAN

Rick Jones rick at activeservice.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 00:30:14 EET 2004

--On 07 December 2004 20:58 +0000 Timothy Murphy
<tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

| What slightly puzzles me is that dozens of people must be using dovecot
| for more or less the purpose I envisage -
| otherwise what are they using it for -
| so my little problem must have arisen many times before.

I use Dovecot on a small home LAN with no problems. However, the server
runs the SME-Server distro (www.contribs.org), which comes with Dovecot
pre-configured, so I've never had to set it up from scratch.

Also, I've never tried using fetchmail on a client (although the server
uses it in the way you use uucp), I use conventional IMAP clients -
generally Mulberry and sometimes OE. This all runs like clockwork.

Your fetchmail errors look to me like a fetchmail config issue (e.g. why
would fetchmail want an SMTP connection to localhost?), though not being a
fetchmail expert I'm not sure what it's indicating.

Have you tried any other IMAP clients? Again, I don't know KMail, but
getting an IMAP client to make its first connection to a server is
sometimes a black art, as it has to discover what mailboxes the server
offers, etc. You could try Mulberry, you can download a free trial from
www.mulberrymail.com - there are builds for RH5 & RH6, and people report
success on Fedora.

--
HTH