[Dovecot] Problem with dovecot on home LAN

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Dec 7 22:58:25 EET 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 15:28, David Sheryn wrote:

> > With fetchmail I get the error message:
> > [tim at william ~]$ fetchmail alfred
> > fetchmail: Server CommonName mismatch: localhost.localdomain != alfred
> > fetchmail: Server CommonName mismatch: localhost.localdomain != alfred
>
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This would appear to be you problem.  You have an identity crisis
> somewhere. Either your laptop or you dektop (or both) are confused as to
> their (LAN, i.e. IP) network identity (note that this has nothing to do
> with UUCP -- unless, of course, you are attempting to run UUCP over IP
> which would be ill-advised.)
>
> It's not at all obvious where the misconfig lies, but I'd start with host
> files / interface configs.

I'm sure you are right that this is where the problem lies.
Unfortunately I don't know what the solution is.
There is no "identity crisis" normally,
as I ssh from one machine to the other with no problem,
and eg keep a yum repository on the desktop
which I use to update Fedora-3 on the small number of machines
on my two little LANs (Ethernet and WiFi).

I googled for this error "Server CommonName mismatch"
and found dozens fo hits,
but none of them seemed to suggest a concrete solution.

What slightly puzzles me is that dozens of people must be using dovecot
for more or less the purpose I envisage -
otherwise what are they using it for -
so my little problem must have arisen many times before.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366