[Dovecot] maildrop and multi-dbox

Manfred Lotz manfred.lotz at arcor.de
Mon Feb 7 16:30:24 EET 2011

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:59:12 +0100
Juergen Daubert <jue at jue.li> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 10:36:29AM +0100, Manfred Lotz wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > I'm using Dovecot 2.0.9-1 under Arch Linux.
> >
> > Currently, I have Maildir configured, and I move all my emails into
> > dovecot by using this sequence:
> >
> > 1) cron starts fetchmail periodically under user manfred to collect
> > my mails from various email accounts.
> > 2) In ~/.fetchmailrc I have configured /usr/bin/maildrop as MDA.
> > 3) In ~/.mailfilter (used by maildrop) I have extensive filtering in
> > place and call bogofilter (by using xfilter) to classify spam mails.
> >
> > This works fine so far. Now I'd like to migrate to dovecot's new
> > format multi-dbox.
> >
> > My question now: Is it correct that then I cannot longer use
> > maildrop and would need to switch do dovecot-lda?
>
> No, you can continue using maildrop. But you must finally use
> dovecot's lda to deliver the mail into the mailstore.
>
> Instead of
>
>  to <some_mail_box>
>
> use the following within your rules
>
>  /usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda -m <some_mail_box>
>
> and the same without the -m option as the last rule in your
> .mailfilter.

Thanks, Jürgen. Yeah, you are right. It is a slight overhead (an
additonal call to dovecot-lda) but would do it.

If I would want to switch from maildrop to dovecot-lda what would be
the best way to integrate bogofilter in the process. My idea of
defining an mda as a script which chains bogofilter and dovecot-lda
like this

  /usr/bin/bogofilter -u -e -p | /usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda -a manfred

would do but perhaps there is something better.

--
Manfred