[Dovecot] database failover

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Mon Dec 12 13:44:20 EET 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 09:25:14PM +1000, Nick Edwards wrote:
> Thanks, we considered options, ruled out master-master for security, and
> since everything is with mysql (AAA) we decided not to introduce another
> database type,

But LDAP master-master is sooo nice :-) and once you have your users in
LDAP it's triviall to re-use it as user source in lots of services
(postfix lookups, authenticated smtp, apache basic auth, dovecot,
etc..).

To get away from our SPoF mysql userdatabase I wrote some scripts that
checkes for changes in the mysql userdatabase, and push these to LDAP
every x minutes. The mysql-database is still our master user source, but
I'm looking forward to getting rid of it completely real soon now.

  -jf