[Dovecot] Performance question

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Thu Jul 19 18:56:16 EEST 2007

* Stewart Dean <sdean at bard.edu>:
> I now have Dovecot in production and things are apparently trouble-free. The
> one known problem is that initial client inbox load can take 30 seconds - 2
> minutes.  For instance:

Initial? Initial after what? I guess the index is being rebuilt, cold
that be?

> 'I got fed up waiting and went and got coffee'...this with a 3MB mbox
> inbox...and my mail server is a substantial machine consuming 25% CPU just
> for this person's IMAP session.

Normal.

> I realize that a certain amount of performance piggishness is inevitable
> with large mbox inboxes (the prize goes to the user with a 500MB inbox).
> Eventually, I plan to move to maildir format, but for now I'm here.  Also,
> we have legacy requirement for procmail, so I can't currently use deliver.
>
> Questions:
> 1) Any tuning I can do to improve this?

Use deliver to rebuild the index wehenever a mail is delivered.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de)             plonk at charite.de
Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung       Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155