[Dovecot] Performance question

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Thu Jul 19 18:23:43 EEST 2007

I now have Dovecot in production and things are apparently trouble-free.
The one known problem is that initial client inbox load can take 30
seconds - 2 minutes.  For instance:
'I got fed up waiting and went and got coffee'...this with a 3MB mbox
inbox...and my mail server is a substantial machine consuming 25% CPU
just for this person's IMAP session.
I realize that a certain amount of performance piggishness is inevitable
with large mbox inboxes (the prize goes to the user with a 500MB
inbox).  Eventually, I plan to move to maildir format, but for now I'm
here.  Also, we have legacy requirement for procmail, so I can't
currently use deliver.

Questions:
1) Any tuning I can do to improve this?
2) Any metrics, troubleshooting I should be doing to better characterize
the problem?

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources