[Dovecot] vpopmail

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jun 6 00:45:37 EEST 2006

(Following up to several messages at the same time, to reduce clutter.)

C J Kenneth Tan -- OptimaNumerics <cjtan at OptimaNumerics.com> writes:

>> This isn't that unreasonable a setup - because the laptop may not be connected
>> at all times, he wants to have a local MTA on the laptop to deposit mail into
>> while offline.  That MTA is configured to relay all mail via his primary MTA,
>> which scans incoming/outgoing mail and delivers it to the appropriate remote
>> MTA.  As such, whether he is running postfix or qmail (or Sendmail) *on the
>> laptop*, he wanted to know why POP-before-SMTP broke on his primary server.
>
> Exactly!

See if http://wiki.dovecot.org/PopBSMTPAndDovecot helps. It looks
relevant, at least if your server uses Dovecot and DRAC.

> While I understand that SMTP AUTH may be an excellent solution, I need
> to take into account our current environment and circumstances.  It
> looks like we need to keep POP-before-SMTP around for a while,
> possibly move to SMTP AUTH at some point in the future.  Would be
> great if POP-before-SMTP continued working.

For your setup and timelines, probably.
For the network as a whole, it wouldn't, sorry.

C J Kenneth Tan -- OptimaNumerics <cjtan at OptimaNumerics.com> writes:

> Is this going to be a case of replacing the MTA just because something
> changed in the POP/IMAP server?

It's an opportunity to migrate setups that
should have been switched long ago.

C J Kenneth Tan -- OptimaNumerics <cjtan at OptimaNumerics.com> writes:

> Matthias,
>
> On 2006-06-05 18:04 +0200 Matthias Andree (matthias.andree at gmx.de) wrote:
>
>> C J Kenneth Tan -- OptimaNumerics <cjtan at OptimaNumerics.com> writes:
>>
>> > I see the argument.  The objective here is to allow relay by Linux
>> > laptops running qmail
>>
>> Not a good idea. <http://home.pages.de/~mandree/qmail-bugs.html>
>
> What is not a good idea?  Allowing relay?  Linux laptops?  qmail?  If
> qmail is not a good idea, then unfortunately this is an "unmovable"
> item.  We have a number of things in our environment that prevents us
> from making such changes, especially given the timescales.

Running qmail is a bad idea for reasons laid out in that document.

SMTP-after-POP (POP-before-SMTP) is a bad idea for reasons given earlier
in this thread.

> I understand the argument.  The environment that we are talking about
> here consists of Linux laptops, which I have mentioned before, and
> OpenBSD and Linux mail hosts.  Also, while I understand that past
> performance is no indication of future response times, ClamAV and
> F-Prot seem to have fairly prompt response.

I can't really judge either, I'm running Antivir on my personal host and
Sophos on a client's server -- either with amavisd-new.

> Correct me if I am wrong, but this seem to have little to do with the
> fact that vpopmail authentication to enable POP-before-SMTP in Dovecot
> 1.0.beta3 and 1.0.beta8 changed.

As far as I can see, the DRAC integration changed in beta4; the Wiki
link at the very beginning has information that looks relevant to your problem.

C J Kenneth Tan -- OptimaNumerics <cjtan at OptimaNumerics.com> writes:

> I can get qmail-smtpd to do SMTP AUTH, patching against qmail-1.03.  I
> can also get qmail-remote to do SMTP AUTH, patching against
> qmail-1.03.  But I am having trouble getting them to work with
> qmail-1.03 plus all the other patches that I want.

Which was my case for suggesting a migration.

--
Matthias Andree