[Dovecot] vpopmail

C J Kenneth Tan -- OptimaNumerics cjtan at OptimaNumerics.com
Mon Jun 5 23:28:43 EEST 2006

John,

On 2006-06-05 12:16 -0400 John Peacock (jpeacock at rowman.com) wrote:

> Matthias Andree wrote:
> > Because that's the only thing the decrepit qmail handles. Any modern MTA
> > has evolved quite far from that point. No matter if you prefer Postfix,
> > Exim, Courier, Sendmail or something else but qmail...
>
> Your criticism of qmail is off-topic for this list, and quite besides the
> point of the original posters question, which I will restate below without
> mention of qmail:

In any case, given the circumstances and the timescales, qmail is an
"unmovable" item at this point in time.

> > The current setup:
> > - Pine configured to send mail via localhost (MTA)
> > - MTA on localhost send mail to SMTP server
> > - SMTP server allow/reject connections based on POP-before-SMTP
> > - SMTP server performs spam and virus checks
>
> This isn't that unreasonable a setup - because the laptop may not be connected
> at all times, he wants to have a local MTA on the laptop to deposit mail into
> while offline.  That MTA is configured to relay all mail via his primary MTA,
> which scans incoming/outgoing mail and delivers it to the appropriate remote
> MTA.  As such, whether he is running postfix or qmail (or Sendmail) *on the
> laptop*, he wanted to know why POP-before-SMTP broke on his primary server.

Exactly!

> It's not that I disagree with you that POP-before-SMTP is suboptimal and
> should be replaced with AUTH; it's that you are being such an a$$h0le in your
> anti-qmail fervor, that any wisdom you may be imparting is lost in the
> vitriol.

While I understand that SMTP AUTH may be an excellent solution, I need
to take into account our current environment and circumstances.  It
looks like we need to keep POP-before-SMTP around for a while,
possibly move to SMTP AUTH at some point in the future.  Would be
great if POP-before-SMTP continued working.

Thank you.

Ken