[Dovecot] "dovecot virgin": 1st questions ...

OpenMacNews OpenMacNews at speakeasy.net
Sun Jul 17 19:49:43 EEST 2005

hi dominic,

thx for the reply =)

> There is a Darwinport for 0.99.14 so that seems like a good sign.

true enuf!  tho that presumes the Darwinport env -- fwiw, i build from scratch

> Lots of us, me included, run Dovecot on FreeBSD which is (in this
> context) about as similar to OS X as you will find.

apart from occassional OSX 'uniquenesses', true -- and good to hear.

> I think Maildir is better.

again, leaning i that dir myself ...

> I don't think storing mailboxes in an SQL database is a good idea
<snip>

fair points.

i was simply referring to 'musigs' on this list about including SQL storage ...
admittedly, not an 'hot' issue for me right now.

> Maildir and mbox have different trade offs so picking the right
> one is about knowing the problem you need to solve.

robustness and simplicity for my $0.02 ...

performance, imho, is not so much an issue ...

> HTH,

it does.  thx!

richard