Good email client to use with Dovecot?

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Fri Nov 18 09:45:22 UTC 2016

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 08:52:11 +0100 (CET)
> Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Nov 2016, Steve Litt wrote:
>>
>>> What email clients are all of you using to look at your IMAP
>>> email?
>>
>> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_(E-Mail-Programm)
>>
>> :-)
>
> I installed Alpine and got it to work as a window to my Dovecot IMAP
> server, but I could only "import" one mailbox at a time, and as I

actually, Alpine does not cache anything locally, hence, it does not
import. You select one mailbox and work with it. Then change the mailbox
using G or L.

> * How does one import *all* folders from the Dovecot server at once,
>  without repeatedly typing in 192.168.100.2/ssl/user=slitt and all the
>  rest of the process?

You add a new collection via S L

> * Is there a way of viewing my folder hierarchy hierarchically,
>  including collapse and expand?

Not really. L gets you to the collection list, where you enter one
hierarchie at a time.

> * How does one manually expunge an email previously marked for
>  deletion? I know it's possible because one config item is "*only*
>  expunge manually." Is there a way of expunging ranges of emails?

(Al)Pine is merely a front-end for IMAP, see

eXpunge (X) key issues this command:

"The EXPUNGE command permanently removes all messages that have the
       \Deleted flag set from the currently selected mailbox.  Before
       returning an OK to the client, an untagged EXPUNGE response is
       sent for each message that is removed."

Hence, all messages, that have the \Deleted flag, are expunged by X.

"expunge manually" means, that Pine does not expunge a mailbox on exit
automatically.

In fact, instead of mark many messages as \Deleted, move them somewhere
else.

Instead of using the Deleted keyword (tag, flag, ...), use another,
possble self-created keyword, s.
https://www.washington.edu/alpine/tech-notes/config.html#keywords . Mark
them, then

;k <keyword>ENTER
adx

; - select
k - by Keyword
a - Apply (next command to all selected messages)
d - mark as \Deleted
x - eXpunge all messages marked as deleted

> * How does one switch the sort order while in the folder list or the
>  message list?

You mean $ in the message list?
The folder list is fixed, as far as I know; maybe the global option
https://www.washington.edu/alpine/tech-notes/config.html#folder-sort-rule
effects this view. I usully use G to changes folders / mailboxes.

> * And most important, where can I find the best, most unambiguous
>  Alpine documentation, that doesn't assume I know anything about
>  Alpine?

Hmm, http://roqet.org/pine.html Getting started with config
http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/ All About PINE ;-)
https://www.washington.edu/alpine/