questions regarding zlib plugin

Andrew McGlashan andrew.mcglashan at affinityvision.com.au
Mon Mar 7 15:13:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 8/03/2016 12:13 AM, Alessio Cecchi wrote:
> Il 04/03/2016 14:35, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> faced with a current space problem on our dovecot 2.2.18 server, I
>> thought about using the zlib plugin.
>>
>> My questions:
>>
>> - is it really as simple as adding the options to the conf files as
>> described in the docs :) ? http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Zlib
>
> Yes, we had enable it on Maildir/ without problems.

Okay, I like the idea of saving messages in compressed format,
My exim4 on Debian with split config doesn't create files with the size
tag, ala:

   maildir_tag = ,S=$message_size

Where should I put this to make it active for exim4 on Debian?

I've tried a couple of different config locations, but I can't get it to
create new files with ,S=$message_size in the file names.

AIUI, the message size component of the file name is required to use
gzip method on files.

I've also adjusted the dovecot config due to this requirement:

   "If you want to use dsync to convert to a compressed Maildir you may
need -o maildir_copy_with_hardlinks=no (this is set to yes by default
and will prevent compression). "

Would I normally need this setting like that as well?

Kind Regards
AndrewM