Mailbox location

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Fri Jun 17 07:10:41 UTC 2016

> On 16 June 2016, at 22:53, Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org> wrote:
>
> I am running a small server with a fixed number of users.  Postfix is using dovecot lda so that I can run pigeonhole.  I have setup a user file with the ids and passwords and everything authenticates properly.  Postfix uses that also.  However, mail is consistently delivered to user at domain.  How do I tell it to deliver to just user?  I have tried setting a variety of different things like:
>
> 10-mail.conf:mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/home_mail/%u
>
> userdb {
>  driver = static
>  args = uid=2222 gid=2222 home=/var/mail/home_mail/%u
> }
>
> and a few other things.  None of them affected the mailbox location.  Fortunately, this is a test system as I probably have mucked up the config files by now.
>
> — Doug

here is config:

root at test:/usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d # doveconf -n
# 2.2.22 (fe789d2): /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.4.13 (7b14904)
# OS: FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE amd64  ufs
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_verbose_passwords = yes
base_dir = /var/run/home_mail/
first_valid_gid = 0
login_log_format_elements = user=<%u> method=%m rip=%r lip=%l mpid=%e %c %k session=<%{session}> port=%a
mail_debug = yes
mail_gid = 2222
mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/home_mail/%u
mail_uid = 2222
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date index ihave duplicate mime foreverypart extracttext
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = scheme=CRYPT username_format=%u /usr/local/etc/dovecot/users
  driver = passwd-file
}
plugin {
  mail_log_events = delete undelete expunge copy mailbox_delete mailbox_rename
  mail_log_fields = uid box msgid size from
}
postmaster_address = doug at sermon-archive.info
protocols = imap
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = vmail
    mode = 0666
    user = vmail
  }
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imap {
    port = 143
  }
  inet_listener imaps {
    port = 993
    ssl = yes
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/mail.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/mail.key
syslog_facility = local0
userdb {
  args = home=/var/mail/home_mail/%d/%n allow_all_users=yes
  driver = static
}
verbose_proctitle = yes
protocol imap {