Error "Next message unexpectedly lost from mbox file"

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:32:49 UTC 2015

BehrensM <EDV2 at BehrensM.de> writes:

> Beside the lokal mailserver-account(s) there is/are pulled Mails via
> imap direct from the mailprovider, the "old" solution which shall be
> replaced by the new mailserver. imap direct from provider shows the
> mails/Attachments in corrects size an opening works.
> Only using the local mailserver fails.
> Mar 26 09:40:05 raspberrypi dovecot: imap(info): Error: Next message
> unexpectedly lost from mbox file /home/info/mail/.INBOX at 1066141935
> (cached)

I couldn't follow all that you wrote, but these errors (actually, more
like warnings) usually occur if you have a mail reader or any utility
that modifies a mailbox outside of dovecot's sight.  For example, a mail
reader that does local manipulation of mbox files rather than via IMAP.

This log message is more or less saying that the indices are out
of sync with respect to the mailbox, and the message that it expected
to find at a file offset is not there anymore.

> Mar 26 09:40:07 raspberrypi dovecot: imap(info): Panic: file
> mbox-sync.c: line 1286 (mbox_sync_handle_eof_updates): assertion failed:
> (trailer_size <= 2)

This, though, should not happen.  Your version of dovecot is rather old, so
maybe an update will solve this.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>