fast doveadm search results

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 00:53:34 UTC 2015

Vu Ngoc VU <vvu at mcra.fr> writes:

> My goal is to be able to find mails quickly with "doveadm search".
> We are using dovecot in a corporate. And some managers, sometimes ask to delete some messages.
> These messages are "unwanted" ones: mistakenly sent, defamatory...
>
> So, that situations appear rarely, but when asked, they expected me to
> deleted quickly these messages from few to thousands of users
> mailboxes.
>
> Is that possible to change behaviour of Dovecot, some headers like
> sender, message-id, date are stored in cache for at least 48h? (7 days
> would be better).

So is this a fair summary of what you are asking: you want to load
dovecot's caches with searchable items (i.e. specified headers) *and*
have them expire and removed from caches after a preset amount of time?

Caches are persistent: once an item is cached, it stays in the cache.
I can't think of a good way to purge them without a lot of bother, but
maybe you don't really need this.

If you want to preload the cache with searchable items, you can periodically
run a search/fetch command, which will load the cache with headers you want.

 	http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-October/053521.html

Maybe you can even add these items into the cache upon delivery,
but someone more knowlegable than I would have to help you with that.
The FTS/Solr plugin might also help.

You seem to be optimizing the wrong problem.  Reading between the lines
of your message, your management wants a technical solution to a human
problem (someone did an oops).

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>