how to solve : Dovecot version mismatch: Master is v2.1.7, lmtp is v2.2.13

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Sep 22 10:37:41 UTC 2014

Am 22.09.2014 um 12:32 schrieb Dave Myers:
> Hello again dovecot list ;)
>
> I've recently upgraded my dovecot version from 2.1.7 to 2.2.13.
> both versions where installed from source.
>
> I upgraded why attempting to get lmtp working. I ultimately just coped the executable lmtp to the location that
> dovecot was expecting it to be in. but then the above error appeared.

why do you copy files around?

if you update a software then make it complete and not
copy random files around - installing from source would
in general be better done by build packages because
they care about obsoleted files and so on

> However when I get the info from dovecot I get the following...
>
> $ dovecot -n
> # 2.2.13: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>
> so there seems to be an issue somewhere.
>
> I should note that I had copied my previous /conf.d/ files and then copied them back after the update.
>
> I guess that I have missed a switch during the build, or need to modify a line in the config somewhere that tells
> what the version is, but that doesn't explain why the dovecot -n returns the correct info, but the error reports
> something different.
>
> I am considering inserting the
>  version_ignore=yes
> config option, but where should I insert it?

no, you should make sure that you have only one version installed
on your system and no old craft staying around