preserving flags for shared mailbox when migrating from cyrus to dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Aug 20 12:16:10 UTC 2014

On 20 Aug 2014, at 13:39, Jogi Hofmüller <jogi at mur.at> wrote:

> Despite all the progress we are making in our attempt to make the
> migration as smooth and transparent for our users there are still some
> important unsolved issues.  One thing that I can't figure out is how to
> preserve a user's flags that s/he has for mail in a shared mailbox.
>
> So far we tried 'doveadm backup -R' as well as the cyrus2dovecot script
> from here [1].  Both work well for individual mailboxes but do not
> migrate subscriptions for shared mailboxes and -- more importantly --
> flags for mail in a shared mailbox.  Reconstructing subscriptions is
> quite easy but I have no clue on how to reconstruct a user's flags.

I think you can first migrate the shared mailbox's mails as whatever user. Then use doveadm sync -1 (and maybe -m shared/foo to sync only the one mailbox) to migrate the message flags. You need to run that separately for all the users who have access to the shared mailbox. Of course Dovecot will also need to be configured properly to have private seen flags for users (only private seen flags are currently possible in Dovecot, I'm not sure how they are in Cyrus).