Is atomic MOVING of messages between IMAP folders possible?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Aug 6 13:16:33 UTC 2014

On 05/08/2014 17:29, Greg Sullivan wrote:
> That's promising that it should be doable. (yes, all I want is for the move
> to only occur once - duplicate messages is not a "move" at all)  I'll
> forward your suggestions to the Thunderbird & Postbox teams.
>
> In the meantime I'll continue to evaluate helpdesk systems and
> "collaborative inbox" products.
>
> Greg.

I agree with the goal though.  I have extremely simple needs for a
helpdesk/CMS type system, and some plugins to Thunderbird would be quite
satisfactory for my needs

Really I need:
- Enhanced addressbook, possibly reading via vcard from my main business
system (bring in customer details and links to their orders on main system)
- Ability to force breaking and rejoin of specific message threading
(because customers find an old invoice and hit reply to it to send us a
support request + other customers who send you 15 emails (without
hitting reply to trigger threading) to describe a single problem).  Note
I believe this requires rewriting the message, so it couldn't be atomic
with current IMAP?
- Enhanced use of flags to mark whether thread needs further input or is
closed

Nice to have would be:
- Logging these state changes to somewhere else so that you can get
statistics (can probably be done by polling the state of the IMAP server
though?)
- Atomic "locking" of threads so that we don't get two people answer
something. Could be handled through use of flags perhaps?

Thunderbird is helpful in that in theory all one needs to do is write
the above in javascript and drop appropriate display buttons on the
email inbox, so even if some external lock manager is needed to
arbitrate access, then this is no great problem.  In practice I lack the
time to work on this, but I'm vaguely interested to find out if there is
a way to hire "plugin developers" for Thunderbird?

Good luck

Ed W