Is atomic MOVING of messages between IMAP folders possible?

Greg Sullivan greg.sullivan at sullivang.net
Wed Aug 6 10:15:23 UTC 2014

Jochen,
I don't have any in-depth knowledge of the IMAP protocol. I'm just saying
that given that IMAP is designed for concurrent access from multiple
clients, I would have expected it to behave much better when more than one
person attempts to move a message, that's all. I was gobsmacked when I
discovered that duplicates could easily occur!

Quote from the IMAP wikipedia page:
Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) is a protocol for e-mail retrieval
and storage developed by Mark Crispin in 1986 at Stanford University as an
alternative to POP. IMAP unlike POP, specifically allows multiple clients
simultaneously connected to the same mailbox, and through flags stored on
the server, different clients accessing the same mailbox at the same or
different times can detect state changes made by other clients.

Regards,
Greg.