[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.2rc3 Client Cert Auth and Webmail -> auth_ssl_require_client_cert problem

Christian Felsing hostmaster at taunusstein.net
Sun Mar 31 15:47:35 EEST 2013

Hi Timo,

thank you for that hint.

SELECT NULL AS password, 'Y' as nopassword, userid AS user FROM users
WHERE userid = '%u'
does not work, seems Dovecot 2.2rc3 ignores nopassword, so my solution is:

password_query = SELECT MD5('%w') AS password, userid AS user FROM users
WHERE (userid = '%u') and (('%k' = 'valid')  or ('%r' = '192.168.116.30'));

so Dovecot accepts any password provided by user. This solution works
now for users which are directily using imap or pop3 _and_ for users
which are using Horde webmail frontend backed by Dovecot. This is now a
configuration which does not need any passwords stored on server which
provides IMHO more security.

best regards
Christian