[Dovecot] Confirmation Please - Dovecot for Email Delivery

craig.dovecot at noboost.org craig.dovecot at noboost.org
Mon Mar 25 04:10:42 EET 2013

Hi All,

Spec:
Centos 6.3x64
Dovecot-2.0.9-5.el6.x86_64

Goal:
1) Inbound emails are delivered by Dovecot and the UID/GID is
determined by a local /etc/dovecot/users file.

2) I'd like to have IMAPS clients authenticate with Dovecot via LDAP.

Questions:
1) I've attempted to ensure that Dovecot will always use the local
password file for mail delivery as no actual password is needed. Then
the LDAP server for when the IMAPS email client connects. This appears to be
working as I expect, can anyone confirm/deny the below settings are
correct?

2) Is there a Dovecot architecture diagram/documentation anywhere?

Settings:
File: dovecot.conf
protocols = imap lmtp
listen = *

File: 10-auth.conf
disable_plaintext_auth = yes
auth_username_format = %Ln
auth_mechanisms = plain
!include auth-passwdfile.conf.ext
!include auth-ldap.conf.ext

File: auth-passwdfile.conf.ext
mail_location = maildir:/home/%n/Maildir
#passdb {
#  driver = passwd-file
#  args = username_format=%n /etc/dovecot/users
#}
userdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = username_format=%n /etc/dovecot/users
}

File: dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
hosts = sysvm-ipa.noboost.org
tls = yes
tls_ca_cert_dir = /etc/openldap/certs
auth_bind = yes
auth_bind_userdn = uid=%u,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=noboost,dc=org
base = cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=noboost,dc=org
pass_attrs = uid=user
pass_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))

File: /etc/dovecot/users
craig:x:890:432:Craig:/home/craig:/bin/bash

cya

Craig