[Dovecot] Dovecot SASL & Postfix

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Mar 17 15:08:31 EET 2013

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 13:21:38 +0100
Reindl Harald articulated:

> Am 17.03.2013 13:04, schrieb Jerry:
> > I am currently using Postfix with Dovecot and Cyrus-SASL. I want to
> > switch over to Dovecot SASL. The regular Dovecot user/password file
> > is not the same as the file used by cyrus-sasl
>
> > I created a flat file that dovecot can use for SASL look-ups
>
> the main benefit of dovecot SASL is that SMTP auth is
> using exactly the same users/passwords and auth-mechs
> as imap/pop3 - so i do not understand why you want create
> anything special

Because that is the way the system was originally configured. I had
nothing to do with it.

The system uses a simple format:

user at doman.com		password

The SASL mechanism presently in use uses:

user at hostname.domain.com		password

Worse, the passwords are not the same in both instances. If I try to
implement one system I will have to deal with all of the present users
and get them all on the same page. That is not something I really want
to invest time in right now.

If dovecot could be told to use a specific file then that would simplify
things greatly. Besides, the SASL file does not need all of the
information contained in the regular Dovecot user/passwd file.
Otherwise, I might just give up on this entire endeavor.

--
Jerry ♔