[Dovecot] Question regarding Postfix and Dovecot

Professa Dementia professa at dementianati.com
Sun Mar 17 12:25:56 EET 2013

On 3/17/2013 3:20 AM, Daniel Reinhardt wrote:
> I really find the lack of error logging, and the virtual lack of
> documentation for Dovecot very disturbing.  I am so close to dropping this
> side project of being able to support multiple domains on a mail server.
>   It is in my utmost respectful opinion to have multiple files to edit just
> to get this working in basic mode.  Why cant dovecot combine all
> configuration parameters into one config like that of postfix main.cf for
> server config, and the master.cf for sockets and listeners?
>
> If there are multiple files to be edited then the error logging should
> mention what file contains the log, and where so you can easily locate the
> issue.  I find this software to be very lack luster and very difficult to
> use.
>
> Dovecot has given me nothing but headache and grief, and as far as I am
> concerned not a finished product.

We are very sorry you are not satisfied with the software.  Please feel
free to return the software for a full refund of all the money you paid.

If you do not like the multiple config files, you can always combine them.

Documentation is online at http://www.dovecot.org/documentation.html

Welcome to the world of open source.  Software is provided through the
generous contributions of many people, all of whom have regular jobs and
do this because they enjoy it.  With open source, if there is something
you do not like, you can change the software to your liking.  Try that
with proprietary software.

And just a friendly word of advice: change your attitude or you will
find your cries fall on deaf ears.

Dem