[Dovecot] Dovecot as LDA with Postfix and virtual users

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sun Mar 17 03:58:17 EET 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 01:20:55AM +0100, Christian Benke wrote:
> I've been trying to configure Dovecot to work as LDA for file-based
> virtual users with Postfix.
>
> Some part in the configuration seems to miss though, as mails are
> received by Postfix, but instead of giving it to Dovecot for
> delivery, it delivers the mails itself.

Perhaps surprisingly, this is a Postfix issue, not a Dovecot one.

> Postfix drops the mail in /var/mail/<user>/mbox, if Dovecot would be
> called, it should deliver it to /var/vmail/<domain>/<user>/Maildir.
>
> I've made sure to add the dovecot-service to postfix/master.cf
> according to http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix and tried all kinds
> of settings and did quadruple checks for errors.
>
> I'm using Debian 6.0 with Dovecot 2.1.7(From backports) and Postfix 2.7.1
>
> I've been trying to figure out what's missing for a few hours now and
> have to give up for today. I hope someone can help me with a hint
> what's missing or wrong :-/
>
> Here's an excerpt from my mail.log, my postconf -n and dovecot -n:

[snip]
> Mar 17 00:02:46 poab postfix/local[15341]: 66AD04E23EE: to=<benkkk AT
> example.com>, relay=local, delay=0.35, delays=0.3/0.01/0/0.04,
> dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to mailbox)

This is postfix/local, which means it is not being routed to your
virtual_transport. It means example.com is in mydestination.

> Mar 17 00:02:46 poab postfix/qmgr[14844]: 66AD04E23EE: removed
>
> # postconf -n
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
> append_dot_mydomain = no
> biff = no
> broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
> config_directory = /etc/postfix
> debug_peer_level = 3
> inet_interfaces = all
> inet_protocols = all
> mailbox_size_limit = 5120000000
> myhostname = example.com

You did not even set mydestination, thus you get the default. You
really should review the Postfix Basic Configuration README:

http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

Perhaps you'd be better off without the virtual mailboxes anyway?

[snip]
> Central Asia by bike, starting May 2013 - http://poab.org

Wow, a great adventure, good luck!