[Dovecot] Question regarding Postfix and Dovecot

Thu Mar 14 13:26:30 EET 2013

Where to begin...

1. Daniel, when Mourik told you to reply back to the list, they meant
that if they send a reply to the list, then you reply to that, send that
reply to the list, not to the person who replied.

Meaning, all replies should go to the list (unless they are merely
personal commentary).

Mourik replied to you on the list. You sent your reply back only to him.

You should have replied keeping the thread on the list.

Fyi, dovecot list does not do reply-to-munging - meaning, if you only
click the 'Reply' button in your email program, it will only reply to
the original sender.

Use the 'Reply-to-list' button (if you have one - ), or click
'Reply-to-all' button and remove the original senders address before
sending...

2. Why do you have postfix logging in verbose mode?!

Turn that off and repost logs. On the postfix list, you will be told the
same thing - normal postfix logging is sufficient for troubleshooting
99.9% of all problems you may run into. Enabling verbose logging only
makes things vastly more difficult, hiding the actual problem among all
the other noise.

3. Why did you post postconf -d output? Just like dovecot, that only
shows you the *defaults*. We need to see the actual config you are using.

So, please post output of postconf -n

That will be enough to show you how to fix your problems.

And Mouriks comment was right on point... you probably have to *enable*
the dovecot LDA in main.cf. Just having it in master.cf isn't enough,
you have to actually turn it on in main.cf, and postconf -n output
should show you it is being used.

If you are still having problems after doing all of this, come back and
post non-verbose logs exhibiting your problem, and postconf -n output.
If you still have a postfix problem, you will likely be directed to the
postfix list to pursue further troubleshooting, but a lot of people on
this list also use postfix and will likely be able to help you fix the
problem if you provide enough of the right information.

Charles

On 2013-03-13 10:50 PM, Daniel Reinhardt <cryptodan at gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Thank you for having this list, and I have a question regarding why postfix
> is not handing off delivery to Dovecot to virtual users.
>
> Here is all I can offer since I am not at my server:
>
> *Here is the debug information for my postfix setup:*

<snip> irrelevant verbose logging and postconf -d output

> *Here is the output of my dovecot -n:*
>
> [code]
> root at andromeda:/etc/postfix# dovecot -n
> # 2.0.19: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> # OS: Linux 3.2.0-38-generic-pae i686 Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS ext4
> disable_plaintext_auth = no
> first_valid_uid = 150
> last_valid_uid = 150
> mail_gid = mail
> mail_location = mbox:/var/vmail/%d/%n
> mail_uid = vmail
> managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
> managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character
> vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags
> copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
> passdb {
>    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
>    driver = sql
> }
> plugin {
>    sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
>    sieve_dir = ~/sieve
> }
> postmaster_address = postmaster at cryptodan.net
> protocols = imap pop3 sieve
> service auth {
>    unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-auth {
>      group = postfix
>      mode = 0660
>      user = postfix
>    }
>    unix_listener auth-userdb {
>      group = mail
>      mode = 01224
>      user = vmail
>    }
> }
> ssl_ca = </etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
> ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
> ssl_cipher_list =
> ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2:ALL:!aNULL:!ADH:!eNULL:!EXP:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM
> ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
> userdb {
>    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
>    driver = sql
> }
> protocol imap {
>    imap_client_workarounds = tb-extra-mailbox-sep
>    mail_max_userip_connections = 10
> }
> protocol pop3 {
>    mail_max_userip_connections = 10
>    pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
> }
> protocol lda {
>    deliver_log_format = msgid=%m: %$
>    mail_plugins = sieve
>    postmaster_address = postmaster
>    quota_full_tempfail = yes
>    rejection_reason = Your message to <%t> was automatically rejected:%n%r
> }
> [/code]
>
> I hope I provided enough information.

Well at least you posted dovecot -n output.

--

Best regards,

Charles