[Dovecot] Dovecot with sasl/imaps/postfix and thunderbird

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 02:55:25 EET 2013

Hi guys,

>> It's relatively easy.  On first starting TB with no account, cancel the
>> wizard.  The use "Edit" -> "Preferences" or "≡" -> "Options..." ->
>> "Options..." to get to TB's configuration pages.  There, use "Advanced"
>> -> "Certificates" -> "View Certificates" -> "Servers" and finally
>> "Import..."
>>
>> After you've imported the needed cert, you can re-open the wizard with
>> "Create new account".
>>
>> You can also use this method to import a self-signed certificate
>> authority if you want to run your own signing operation.
>
> How does he do this at scale Phil?

All of these options suck, frankly. I should have mentioned, however,
that this is only for the test server. There's an actual signed cert
for the production server, which is really the same server.

So, the test server is mail1.prop.example.com, which will be renamed
to just mail.prop.example.com after the staff complete their test.

The trouble is staff are basically end-users, so documenting these
steps really sucks. That's where I'm at right now. The damn software
works fine (thanks to everyone's help and clarifications); it's just
finding the easiest way to convince them it's working that's become
the problem. They're going to want screenshots, blah, blah, blah...

I do have other questions (of course), but I'm still reading and
absorbing all that everyone has written thus far.

Had I had more time, I would have just made them create another cert
for the test server, but I didn't anticipate the difficulty with
thunderbird and/or outlook and using self-signed certs.

Thanks,
Alex