[Dovecot] Limiting size of stored emails

Patrick Joy paddy at paddyjoy.com
Wed Mar 13 04:55:03 EET 2013

Hi,

Would appreciate some advice on this issue.

I'm running dovecot version 1.0.10 on ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

Recently a user created a draft email in their client (outlook) and
added a 4GB attachment. The email was uploaded to the draft imap folder
on the server. After this the client would then go into a endless
synchronisation loop every time outlook was opened. For example in the
most recent case 400GB of data was downloaded to the client when the
user left outlook synchronising for 5 days.

I know this may be a bug with the client or client os however I would
like to know if there is a way to limit the size of individual emails
that can be stored in the imap store to prevent users creating huge
drafts. There is no reason they should need an email draft of this size
as it can never be sent through SMTP.

Thanks