[Dovecot] Lot of dovecot process writes

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Wed Mar 6 14:44:05 EET 2013

El 06/03/13 13:22, Robert Schetterer escribió:
> Am 06.03.2013 13:15, schrieb Angel L. Mateo:
>> Hello,
>>
>>      While monitoring my servers' behaviour (ubuntu 12.04 with dovecot
>> 2.1.9, with about 70000 users) I have found that lots of disk usage is
>> done by dovecot process (the parent process). Since lmtp, imap and pop3
>> connections are handle by their own process, what could be the reason of
>> this?
>>

> maildir may no be optimal for such high amount of users, use i.e mdbox
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox

	I know this. We are planning to migrate to dbox, but in a multiserver
environment like ours is not so trivial because of indexes (we tried it
with indexes in nfs storage but performance was poor).

	In any case, I don't understand why dovecot parent process has these
huge amount of IO, since, I guess, IO should be done by user's processes
(lmtp, imap or pop), not dovecot parent.

	My only hypothesis is related with log messages, but then IO should be
done by rsyslog process, not dovecot, shouldn't it?

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática