[Dovecot] help needed with dovecot authentication

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Fri Mar 1 11:33:49 EET 2013

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013, peter lawrie wrote:

> My problem is that I can telnet to postfix to send and receive emails and
> can see these within postfix in webmin
> I have been having many problems getting dovecot to connect successfully to
> postfix.

Er, #1: Dovecot connects to postfix?

#2: You use imp-authentification then?

#3: Where are the users in virtualmin?

> I would greatly appreciate some assistance with this as every 'howto' I
> have found by googling describes different setups and just gets me deeper
> in the mire!
>
> I want an authentication mechanism on this one server that virtualmin users
> and horde users (same people!) can use for imap mail.

Dovecot to use passwords from SQL, e.g. mysql:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/SQL

Dovecot to fetch user information from SQL, e.g. mysql:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/UserDatabase

Postfix is using Dovecot for AUTH:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL

Postfix delivers message to Dovecot via LMTP:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/Virtual%2BPostfix%2BDspam%2BDovecot
(just skip the Dspam part)

Use imp-Auth in Horde.

Left: virtualmin
You will find information about password_query, user_query,&
iterate_query in the first two links. Give Dovecot the correct SQL SELECT
statements, be sure the password scheme vurtualmin uses is supported by
Dovecot, have ensured that the configuration (either from SQL or conf
files) tells Dovecot, where the home and the mail base directories are,
then it should work.

You will find plenty of HOWTOs about Postfix and Dovecot setup in the net.

- --
Steffen Kaiser