[Dovecot] Migration from v1 to v2 with hashed directory structure

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Fri Mar 1 01:38:33 EET 2013

On 28/02/2013 13:59, Pavel Dimow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to upgrade to version 2 but I would like to solve a long
> standing problem with 'flat' directory structure ie
>   we have /var/spool/vmail/mydomain.com/user at mydomain.com and I want a
> new server with version 2 to have
> hashed directory structure like /var/spool/vmail/mydomain.com/u/s/user
> I was wondering it f there is some better solution then dir hashing or
> a way to hash a dir other then first two letters.
> Also any suggestion how to perform this migration from old to new
> server with hashing on the fly?

My thought would be that unless you have millions of users, such a
rename process will take only seconds to minutes?  Why not just take the
server down for a couple of minutes to do the rename process?

If you wanted to be really clever, you could do it live using symlinks
to move the dirs, then update the dovecot config?

Ed W