[Dovecot] 2 node dovecot

Lazy lazy404 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 11:31:17 EET 2013

2013/1/4 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:
> On 26.12.2012, at 22.01, Lazy <lazy404 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We run dovecot 2.1 on 2 nodes with shared nfs storage. Index files are
>> kept on local disk.
>> Second node is usually used only for email snapshots access. If
>> primary node fails it is configured to
>> take place of the primary imap server.
>>
>> Snapshots are additional namespaces with mail from various points in
>> time. We need a way to easly copy
>> multiple messages from snapshots to current mailboxes. It would be
>> best to make current mailbox available
>> as another namespace so one would simply copy messages from one folder
>> to another.
>>
>> Is it safe ? There will be times when given user is writing to the
>> same nfs based Maildir mailbox from 2 nodes
>> both of them having separate index files. What will happen if already
>> present message gets copied back
>> from the snapshot ?
>
> If the snapshots are entirely different files/directories, then there shouldn't be any trouble. If the same message gets copied it's simply duplicated.
>
> If the snapshots have one or more files shared with the non-snapshots, then I don't really understand your setup.
>
> You can anyway use namespaces or doveadm import.

hmm on netapp this is a non trivial question ;)

they are in different directories, snapshots are read only copies of
live mailbox, most of the files have same inode numbers but the size
and content aren't the same

so if I understand correctly same Maildir message file name in
snapshot and live mailbox will not be a problem

Regards,

Michał Grzędzicki