[Dovecot] Wrong quota calculation

Cibest ML ml at cibest.com
Fri Sep 7 11:46:42 EEST 2012

Hi,
We've a strange quota behavior on our dovecot servers.
It seems that it's somehow doubling the real used storage (or could be
something like twice the inbox size + size of other folders, hard to
know for sure).
It was initial setup with the maildir++ system. Now it's been configured
with dict and mysql table but the result is the same.

Dovecot version : 2.1.7 (from squeeze-backports). Maildir format is used
As example, let's use mailbox at domain.com.
If I check in the quota table, I'll find :
- size : 697151354
- number of files : 1510

Now if I check the Maildir folder on the filesystem, I'll find :
- size : 347960000
- number of files : 824 (using find . -type f|grep -v dovecot|wc -l, not
100% accurate)

Another mail box
Reported by dovecot : 503446986    1081
Filesystem                     : 248592000    598

Does anyone has an idea of what could be possibly wrong. We've checked &
double-checked everything and nothing seems to be wrong (no dsync used).

--
Regards
Sébastien