[Dovecot] mysql auth failover failing

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Sep 10 11:49:59 EEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 20:16 -0700, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 08:02:57PM -0700, Noel Butler wrote:

> > suggest, having just one master server, after all, dovecot and postfix
> > just need to read, not alter/update/insert etc.
>
> True; but the pieces that are altering/updating/inserting the data that
> postfix/dovecot need to read need redundancy as well :).

Yep, depends on your network design I suppose, I rather leave the front
ends to be just that, with all interactions with master DB server and
the NAS done via second  interface on a dedicated private LAN so those
nasty bored teenagers out there can't get near it :)

> > yep thats correct because it has " gone away" but it still uses the
> > second host immediately, thats just dovecot trying to re-establish its
> > link with primary
>
> Based on my testing, it doesn't use the second host immediately, but
> only sporadically, with most of the authentications failing.

Sounds like you have bigger issues, maybe relating as to why the primary
fails?

> > err postfix is not dovecot, you need to also add failover in postfix's
> > sql lookup commands
>
> postfix relies on dovecot for authentication, this postfix error message
> is the result of dovecot not successfully processing an authentication
> request. postfix itself handles mysql failure well, it both load
> balances queries across both servers and also continues to function when
> one isn't available.

my bad, I did see that and it is as how I do it (i'm not all there at
present, had the flu for a week grrrr) but I never had a situation where
primary (local slave copy) has gone away unless I'm deliberately
upgrading mysql ) when doing so (tested) it hits the master server (as
in secondary host=) right away, no auth failures.

Cheers