[Dovecot] Getting the SMTP envelope through IMAP?

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Sat Oct 22 20:13:51 EEST 2011

On 22.10.2011 18:56, Maarten Bezemer wrote:
> On the other hand, the question was a bit broad as a starting point.
> The SMTP envelope is nothing more than SMTP protocol and is not in
> itself part of the email format RFC. If you want to have this
> information saved in the email message, then it is the task of the
> SMTP-server to add this in the headers of the message. (Hardly
> parseable in Received headers, probably better when also included in
> things like Return-path, Delivery-date and Envelope-to.)
> Whether or not one should apply any filtering, or when, or where, may
> be related to this topic but I'd say that's the freedom of the user.
> Or, the arbitrary choice of some manager ;-)

Again, this discussion is nuts. If this is supposed to be some support
mailing list (as the dovecot web page suggests) people should take care
to focus on the question rather than taking a question as an opportunity
for telling their individual opinion.

The main question is whether I can draw a precise copy of a mailfolder
through IMAP without any loss of data.

It does not make any sense to discuss what that information could be
used for, especially nobody on that list is familiar with the local
requirements I have to fulfill.

(BTW, I am familiar with the SMTP envelope, I was working more than two
years at the IRTF and IETF about treatment of the SMTP envelope, and
doing mail system administration since around 1989. I don't need any
introduction or further discussion about that.)

Please understand that I do not want to waste any more time in this
discussion that completely misses the point and the initial question.