[Dovecot] Mysql access denied

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 13:43:35 EEST 2011

--- On Thu, 23/6/11, list at airstreamcomm.net <list at airstreamcomm.net> wrote:

> From: list at airstreamcomm.net <list at airstreamcomm.net>
> Subject: Re: [Dovecot] Mysql access denied
> Date: Thursday, 23 June, 2011, 17:11
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:48:58 +0200,
> Johan Hendriks
> <joh.hendriks at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Op 23-6-2011 15:37, list at airstreamcomm.net
> [1] schreef:
> > Currently using dovecot 2.0.12 and mysql server 4.0.20
> (I know, it's
> > really old) and having issues getting Dovecot to
> authenticate to the
> > mysql
> > server. We have confirmed that the credentials are
> correct and the host
> > machine can access the database, however we are
> getting the following
> > error:
> >
> > Jun 23 08:12:50 hostname dovecot: auth: Error:
> mysql(databaseserver.com):
> > Connect failed to database (database): Access denied
> for user:
> > 'sqladmin at ip.of.host.machine
> [2]' (Using password: YES) - waiting for 1
> > seconds
> > before retry
> >
> > We are assuming this has something to do with the
> password hashing
> > algorithm in older versions of mysql, but we are
> hoping to confirm this
> > theory and find a solution.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> >   This has as far as i can see nothing
> to do with hashes.
> >  It is the mysql database that disallows the user
> sqladmin access to the
> > database.
> >  Make sure the user sqladmin has the proper
> rights to access the
> > database, from the ipadres.
> >
> >  Gr
> >  Johan Hendriks
> >

> > Links:
> > ------
> > [1] mailto:list at airstreamcomm.net
> > [2] mailto:sqladmin at ip.of.host.machine
>
> When talking about hashes I was referring to this wiki
> article:
> http://wiki1.dovecot.org/MysqlProblems.  As I
> stated in my email we have
> confirmed that the host can access the database just fine,
> and the
> credentials are correct in the config for Dovecot.
>
> Thanks.

Hi ,

Just my 2c.

1. I noticed even in newer versions (in my case built from sources),
if the admin enters special symbols on the passwords like !@#$%, MySQL
accepts them but the user will never authenticate afterwards. So I keep
passwords simple with latin and numbers only.

2. Also, make sure you have grasped well the "grant" syntax :
example :

[root at localhost ~]# mysql –uroot –p<password> <ENTER>
	mysql> use datebase_schema; <ENTER>
mysql> grant all on database_schema.*
-> to user at localhost; <ENTER>

Try the same for ip addresses.

HTH,

s.

----
"I merely function as a channel that filters
music through the chaos of noise"
 - Vangelis