[Dovecot] zlib Plugin Dovecot 2.0

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Fri Apr 9 01:22:21 EEST 2010

On 04/08/2010 04:56 PM Alex Baule wrote:
> Hi Everyone....
>
> Someone can explain to me the difference from zlib 1.2.X and 2.0 beta4 ??
>
> In zlib from 2.0 beta4, Which part of the plugin is responsible for write
> the compressed message ?

For reading compressed files you will need to enable zlib plugin for the
used protocols. When using imap and pop3, configure something like:

protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = zlib
}
protocol pop3 {
  mail_plugins = zlib
}

If you want to store compressed messages (only for v2.0+) you have to
configure the zlib plugin in the plugin section:

plugin {
  zlib_save_level = 6 # 1 - 9 (6 = default)
  zlib_save = gz # or bz2
}

When you are using the dovecot-lda binary, add the zlib plugin:

protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = zlib
}

And when using the lmtp, also activate the zlib for the lmtp:

protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = zlib
}

And finally, if your IMAP client is able to read compressed mails,
change your protocol imap configuration to something like:

protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = zlib imap_zlib
}

Regards {