[Dovecot] pop3-login: Fatal: io_loop_handle_add: epoll_ctl(1, 5):

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 30 15:59:23 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 10:16 +0200, Marco Nenciarini wrote:
> Sep 30 06:26:15 server dovecot: pop3-login: Fatal: io_loop_handle_add:
> epoll_ctl(1, 5): Operation not permitted
>
> There is no additional information from Timo's patch,

Oh, annoying. There was a bug in the function it used, this fixes it:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/401e023c8c29

> but if you compare
> it with the last one you can see a weird match on both time and weekday:
>
> Sep 23 06:26:14 server dovecot: pop3-login: Fatal: io_loop_handle_add:
> epoll_ctl(1, 5): Operation not permitted
>
> After some investigation I've found that the daily cron scripts are
> executed every day at 6:25 and the only thing related to dovecot in
> /etc/cron.daily is the call to expire plugin

That is interesting, but I can't really think of how they could be
related.. I also did a few tests and they didn't break it either. The
only thing I can think of is that somehow the --exec-mail added a second
dovecot master process running at the same time? Did you check the
process list?

The only thing related I can think of is
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/0f04c7da33f1 - did you have that
patch applied? Although I couldn't reproduce the problem even with that
reverted.