[Dovecot] Curious Dovecot strangeness

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 29 01:33:34 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 14:31 +0100, S. A. Woltering wrote:
> The problems we see are sporadic thunderbird error messages of the kind
> "cannot save message to Sent folder" and for some users with large-ish
> numbers of mail folders one or two of their folders are appearing empty.

Hmm. So .. Do you see anything different in log files around that time?
For example:

imap-login: Info: Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded
(mail_max_userip_connections): user=<tss>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1,
lip=127.0.0.1, secured

or:

dovecot: Error: Maximum number of mail processes exceeded (see
max_mail_processes setting)

or anything else with "Error:" or "Fatal:" prefix?

> log_path: /var/adm/dovecot.log
> info_log_path: /var/adm/dovecot.log

I'd put these to different files. It's then easy to see if there have
been any errors, because only errors will be written to log_path.