[Dovecot] Proxying Performance vs imapproxy

Dan Poltawski dan.poltawski at luns.net.uk
Sat Sep 26 23:42:29 EEST 2009

Hi,

I'm planning on a new mail infrastructure which constists of multiple
'frontends' running webmail & public access pop/imap, which would communicate
over imap/pop to 'backend mail stores'.  My original idea was to run dovecot
on the backends, use a predition on the frontends to proxy imap/pop and also
run imapproxy in front of webmail [squirrelmail].

I've since read about the dovecot proxying features and it seems to make sense
to replace predition in that above scenario.

I'm unclear about the benefits of the auth_cache and how it compares to the
using imapproxy in front of webmail client?

Does it make sense to have authcaching switched on in the proxy and not on the
backend server? (Doesn't the authentication just have to happen on the backend
server?)

Are there any performance benefits to using a proxying server, or is it just
for splitting mailstores?

thanks for your work,

Dan Poltawski