[Dovecot] Maildir files with mtime in the future

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 3 01:44:13 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 19:36 +0200, Holger Weiss wrote:
> | If a date-time is specified, the internal date SHOULD be set in the
> | resulting message; otherwise, the internal date of the resulting
> | message is set to the current date and time by default.
>
> [ ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/doc/rfc/rfc3501.txt (6.3.11. APPEND Command) ]
>
> However, if the client does so, Dovecot will set the mtime of the
> Maildir file in question to the date specified by the client even if
> it's in the future.  Since files with an mtime in the future can cause
> all sorts of trouble (e.g., they might get backed up repeatedly by
> incremental backups), it would be nice if Dovecot would (optionally?)
> use the current time if the client specifies a time in the future.

Hmm. I don't really like violating a SHOULD. And I don't like adding a
setting to do it either. There are already too many settings.

I wonder how big of a problem this actually is. Are people often backing
up based on mtime?

> For example, we use the following patch:

This is a problem only with Maildir, so if the code is added it should
go to maildir-save.c.