[Dovecot] High availability strategies?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Feb 6 02:05:49 EET 2008

Anyone here trying any "high availability" strategies for mail servers?
(Ralph what do you do?)

I am reading up a little on DRBD + OCFS for a master/master setup but
this doesn't seem to address how to avoid having a single master proxy
process (assuming that we are running on rented equip and don't have
ability to shift IP addresses around servers).  It appears to be
possible to play games with DNS and short expiries, but this causes
extra DNS traffic for the general case when we are up and running?

We had some bad ram in a server recently and it's the worst possible
situation.  Server locking up, downtime, but it's not easy to repro and
fix...  (only happens every few days. Memcheck found nothing...)  How
could we redesign our setup to be resilient against this?  (How does
Google or Yahoo do it?)

For reference I am using vservers to host dovecot and this is working
very nicely and makes it real simple to chuck the config onto another
host and test things (upgrades, etc).  Highly recommended.

Any suggestions (from people who have tried stuff)?

Cheers

Ed W