[Dovecot] MIME Decoding Problem

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.com
Wed Dec 12 16:09:07 EET 2007

I am having a recurring problem with Dovecot 1.0.8 failing to MIME-decode
certain messages. The client is Mulberry 4.0.8. The messages causing the
problem seem to be MIME messages with "no parts". I.e. the message has
some MIME encoding, but is just included as the message body. The kind of
effect I will see is a proliferation of untranslated =xx codes, or in
some cases an untranslated base64 block. I.e. I see the raw text from the
message body with no MIME decoding at all.

When this problem happens, if I close the folder, ditch the .imap directory
on the server for this folder, and reopen the folder, the problem has gone
away, I can view the message just fine. So, I don't believe it's a client
problem. (And Mulberry is probably the most IMAP-knowledgeable client out
there ...)

Below is my dovecot -n listing.

-Thanks, Jim

------------------
# 1.0.8: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
base_dir: /var/dovecot/
ssl_disable: yes
ssl_cert_file: /etc/ssl/dovecotcert.pem
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_user: _dovecot
mail_location: mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_full_filesystem_access: yes
mbox_write_locks: fcntl
imap_client_workarounds: delay-newmail outlook-idle netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  inbox: yes