[Dovecot] IMAP server <defunct> (beta 7)

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Tue May 23 15:07:39 EEST 2006

Graham Briggs wrote:
> From what I've read online, it's a creeping system clock issue in  the
> Linux kernel (the clock gains a minute every 2 or 3 hours, it  gains
> faster if there's more network usage, ntpd cannot compete with  that
> rate of clock skewing). We're going to try using noapic and  other
> parameters.

You can also try running Dan Bernstein's clockspeed:

	http://cr.yp.to/clockspeed.html

using this helper script:

	http://foo42.de/devel/sysutils/clockspeed-conf/

WARNING: DJB's software is tersely written and really intended for people who
actually know what they are doing.

FWIW, I have not seen this issue at all with the clocks under my control (mostly
SLES 9), which have clock drift that varies per machine.  With clockspeed,
however, I'm usually within a couple of 100ths of a second each time the script
checks/adjusts it.  YMMV

John

--
John Peacock